Saturday, December 12, 2009

Baking...

I love it. And I totally suck at it. Okay, well maybe not totally. I can bake some things. Like banana bread....and....well that's about it. So yes, I can bake banana bread. And I am even good at baking banana bread. As a matter of fact I think I make a pretty darn good banana bread. I'd love to learn how to bake other things too though since I really do love to bake. I love getting all the ingredients together, setting everything up, reading the recipe, pouring the flour, breaking the eggs, adding bits and pinches here and there. I love that baking is not an exact science. You can add a bit of vanilla if you want, just to try, and as long as you don't overdo it, the outcome can be splendid. I love the effects of baking too. The smells that entice your nostrils are just plain glorious. There really aren't many things that can get your taste buds going like the smells that can come from an oven. The warm feeling that comes with creating something from scratch. There is just something very therapeutic about baking to me. I've tried cookies several times in the past and no matter what recipe I try I just can't seem to get it right. They are always hard and/or burnt. I don't think I have once created an edible cookie. So my next and first real attempt at broadening my baking horizon will be an attempt at fudge. I have absolutely no idea how difficult fudge is to make but my plan is to try. I'm not actually even sure if there is even baking involved with the fudge making process but that's my first goal. Ha, ha! Finding the extra money to buy gifts this year is proving difficult but finding extra flour and eggs to make some scrumptious somethings I can do. So my plan is to create some goody baskets filled with all my lovely baking to give as gifts. Can I make fudge, cookies and breads that aren't burnt and actually edible, now that's the real question???

No comments:

Post a Comment